Wednesday 26 March 2014

Vanilla Marshmallows!

Let me begin by saying that marshmallows are not my thing.

But, it was something I wanted to learn to make because you can use marshmallows in many recipes and also because I cannot find them easily. Oh, my mom loves them, too, so I searched and found a recipe I thought was easy and tasty!

Vanilla marshmallows
adapted slightly by the wonderful Sweetapolita!

4 1/2 teaspoons unflavoured powdered gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup, divided
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
4 tsps vanilla extract
1/2 cup Classic Coating, plus more for dusting

** Classic Coating:
1-1/2 cups icing sugar
1 cup cornstarch

marshmallows:

* Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
* Whisk together the gelatin and cold water in a small bowl and let soften for 5 min.
* Stir together the sugar, half the corn syrup, water and salt in a medium saucepan over high heat. 
* Boil, stirring occasionally, until the temperature reaches 115°C. 
* Pour remaining corn syrup into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. 
*  Microwave gelatin on high until completely melted, about 30 seconds. Pour into the mixer bowl. Set the mixer speed to low and keep it running.
* When the syrup reaches 115°C, slowly pour it into the mixer bowl. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 5 min. 
Essentially the way you would do it for Italian meringue.
* Increase to medium-high and beat for 5 more min. Beat on the highest setting for 1 to 2 minutes more and beat in the vanilla.
Finished marshmallow will be opaque white, fluffy, and tripled in volume. 
* Pour it into the prepared pan and smooth it into the corners. Sift coating evenly and generously over top. 
* Let set for at least 6 hours in a cool, dry place.
* Use a knife to loosen the marshmallow from the edges of the pan. 
* Invert the slab onto a coating-dusted work surface and dust it with more coating. 
* Cut it with a cookie cutter to whatever shape you want.
* Dip the sticky edges of the marshmallows in more coating, patting off the excess.

Classic Coating:
* Sift the ingredients together in a large bowl. Store it in an airtight container; it keeps forever.

I used the smallest round cookie cuter I had, since I wanted them bite-size.
I dipped the cutter first in Classic Coating, then I cut little rounds from the slab.

Aren't they cute? Like covered with snow!!
Even though I don't like marshmallows, I thought they were quite tasty and this recipe can serve as a base for many flavour variations.

Louise.

No comments: