Monday 11 June 2012

Butterscotch!

I love love love the taste of caramel.

I had this recipe for butterscotch, like forever and I wanted to give it a try. I think I always believed it to be rather tricky to make, so I just put it off.
But the time was right and I went it.

The experience made me wonder why didn't I do this before.....

Butterscotch
180gr sugar
300gr heavy cream
120gr glucose syrup
75gr butter
a pinch of salt

* you will need a candy thermometre.
* when I make caramel I add 1/2 tsp salt

In a small pot warm the cream with the glucose, but do not boil it. In a non stick skillet melt the sugar little by little until it darkens. When all the sugar is in and it has become caramel, pour the warm cream mixture slowly. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO HURT YOURSELF because it will bubble a lot!
Mix and boil until the temperature is 107oC. Remove from the heat and let it cool until it is about 40oC. Put in the butter in cubes and mix it very well, until there is no trace of butter. I used a hand eggbeater.
Now it is ready and you can put it in a jar!

Cream and glucose...
Sugar...
Waiting for the caramel to cool down...
Mixing in the butter...
Lovely colour...

Yummy...

I ate it with a spoon, I put it on a slice of chocolate challah, I added it on top of a vanilla cake, the possibilities are endless!!!!

Enjoy!

No comments: